Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Junco's and Chickadees have arrived!!

Well I'm slightly sad to report that this morning as I sat contemplating some of the many changes that have occurred this year I saw that the juncos had arrived and were attempting to feed in the yard.

I say attempting because most of the time the sparrows were chasing them off...I kid you not...I saw a blur of the junco tail skirt dart by followed closely by an angry male house sparrow. I was NOT impressed as this is the second time I've seen them actively chase off another species. I HATE house sparrows, but tolerate them as they are all that winter in my yard. I now wonder if there isn't more to that than met the eye.

The rest of the day was spent getting the yard ready for the snow that is on it's way...I'm predicting snow for Thanksgiving weekend...and last year we got caught off guard and many things (including summer feeders) were left out all winter and got trashed by the -45'C temperatures and winds.

As I worked in the yard I noticed a blur of black and white fly through the yard and noticed that 4 chickadees had landed, then took off again as we were busy in the yard. I hope that doesn't scare them off and they come back to feed. I would love to have them in my yard this winter. In the past I've only ever had 1 that would hang out intermittently over the winter. I want some variety!

It's hilarious though, the second that I came inside the sparrows descended on the yard like a scene out of 'the birds'. Apparently they were pissed that they hadn't been able to feed all afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment