Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sparrows flocking

Well it would appear that the sparrows have started to flock for the fall migration. This morning I noticed that there were about 6 very small (probably juvenile chipping sparrows) mixed in with the house sparrows. Not really a fair fight the house sparrows just bullied them away from the food. I really hope that the white throated and harris's return this fall.

I had a flock of about 20 brewers blackbirds come in to clean out my feeders this morning...an impressive sight I might add. The sparrows held their ground on 3 of the feeders so the black birds eventually gave up and moved onward.

The hummingbirds have been absent for the last 3 days so they might have moved onward. The feeder hasn't gone down any either so they may be done for the year.

The hairy woodpeckers have been making a regular mid day appearance for the suet...such an interesting bird to watch...I love the quirky movements. I've put out a coconut to see if they are interested at all...friends from the south swear by it so we'll see. I might have better luck trying it next spring...

It feels like the birds are in a holding pattern with the unexpected heat wave we're having here so hopefully by the time I get back from a much deserved vacation I won't have missed much!

No comments:

Post a Comment