Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cold Snap

Well I think it's official fall is definitely here, the temperature went from +30 to +10 in just 1 day. Kinda crazy...doesn't give the body a lot of time to adjust.

As a result of the temperature snap most of the migrating birds here took off. I only had the harris sparrows for about 2 days. I had no idea that they would leave so quickly, so I'm extra happy that I got the pictures when I did.

The sparrow flock is mostly just house sparrows now. The white throated sparrows have gone as well as the chipping and white crested. I'm a little sad as it seems like too short a time...I miss my birds!

This morning while having my coffee I noticed that a downy woodpecker had come back to eat some suet on the feeding station closest to the house. The sparrows were on the feeders by the fence and in the middle of the yard, leaving the station closest to the house totally empty.

The downy seemed pleased as punch until the sparrows noticed that he was there. 2 of them flew over and defended the previously empty station and tried to chase off the woodpecker. He managed to get a few pecks in before they bullied him away. I was not a happy camper as it was the truest form of bulling I'd ever seen. "I don't want it but you can't have it either so I'm going to chase you away!"

Eventually the downy came back and was able to eat a bit more suet before the sparrows tried to bully him away again. I made a bit of noise and the sparrows took off and the downy stayed and had a nice snack and made my morning breakfast very entertaining!

I really hope that the birds aren't done for the year yet. I haven't had a chance to get to oak hammock marsh yet and I really want to see a few more birds before the snow flies. I love the fact that the house sparrows stayed for the entire winter last year for the first time, but I need something more than that. Maybe this year I can attract nuthatch's and chickadees...everyone else seems to have them but I never do.

I guess if nothing else I can watch for the arrival of the juncos!

No comments:

Post a Comment