Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Monday, September 28, 2009

A Baby Downy Woodpecker!!

Wow is today ever a great bird day and it's not even 9 am yet!! So while I was enjoying my morning coffee (I had just gone out and refilled all of my feeders), I noticed that there was a baby downy woodpecker on one of my homemade seed feeders pecking away.


He moved from feeder to feeder, looking for I don't know what, but eventually he made his way to the feeding station by the door, much to my delight!

He was so tiny I couldn't believe that he was the same size as the female house sparrow. I watched him hop about and when a magpie flew into the yard he hunkered down to become one with the branches...a very cool self preservation instinct that I'd hadn't witnessed up close before.
In the above picture he was pecking at something that was jammed down the pole hole...very cute to watch as his head would disappear down the tube.


My new favourite baby to visit the yard this year...cutie patootie!

No comments:

Post a Comment