Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Monday, September 14, 2009

September 12th - The Belted Kingfisher

So let me start our by saying that last year I tried so very hard to ID this bird that soared and dived over the water by our campsite to no avail. I scoured my bird books looked everywhere for a black headed gull.

I was determined to get a good picture of these guys so I could have my bird buddies help me to ID him when I took this shot and went "HOLY S**T, it's a king fisher!"

What threw me off for the longest time was that fact that his colouring was really different from my book and until this precise moment I'd never seen them look like such a textbook KF picture. There heads were totally black not grey and they seemed larger than the one I had in my backyard last year.

However I don't think there can really be any doubt...Belted Kingfisher indeed!


My one real regret is not getting a better picture of them as they were the coolest birds I'd ever seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment