Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Nuts!

Have I mentioned how much I love bluejays lately? It could be in part because they are one of the few birds left for me to look at...but it could also be because they are, to me, simply gorgeous birds.

They're one of the few species where the males and females are almost indistinguishable from each other. I love that. Equality in nature. Not something we often see in birds. More often that not the females some shade of brown or another neutral and the males a splendiferic melee of colour and song.

I admit I'm guilty of it, when I go looking for birds to photograph I all to often will chase the male and ignore the female...the male sells, the female...well she mainly dwells on my hard drive.

There's at least 4 of them that takes turns rotating through the yard. I've taken to adding a few more nuts to the blend and they don't seem to be complaining.

I could stand at the back door all day and watch them. It seems that it won't be long before they disappear as well and all I'm left with will be house sparrows.

Don't get me wrong...I don't hate House Sparrow like many bird snobs do. It's just that after such an amazing summer where I added over 15 new birds to my life list and photographed over 40 different birds in all their glory...Well it's almost depressing.

Who knows though, if my plans of taking up cross country skiing and winter hiking come to fruition I may just be able to add some Winter Grosbeaks to my collection...now THAT would be a dream come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment