Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cedar & Bohemian Waxings


I'm going to start this post by reiterating how gorgeous the weather has been around here lately. The first weekend in November brought some of the most gorgeous weather I've ever seen at this time of year (+14'C). We decided that we simply had to make the most of this weather and decided to head out to our favourite campground/ provincial park and do some hiking.

Truth be told I also wanted to see what the place looked like with no leaves. It was amazing how different everything looked. So we wandered around rather aimlessly...I ended up putting my camera away as it became very obvious that there weren't any birds hanging around. I had thought as much going out...with no evergreen trees for shelter I couldn't imagine there being much past blue jays and chickadees.

As we walked yet again around our usual camping bay I kept hearing sounds that sounded to me like cedar waxwings...but they should be gone...who could it be? Well I soon realized that there was a rather large flock of cedar waxwings devouring the berries left on the trees. So I had to take pictures...just had to.

It was still bothering me that they would have been there...then I opened up the files the next day for editing and imagine my surprise when I realized that there had been Cedar and Bohemian waxwings mixed all together?!?!?! WTH???

I was simply over the moon as this meant that there was yet another bird that I could add to my life list and shot list for the season. I still can't get over it...I almost feel ripped off...like I should have been reveling in their presence more or something.

I guess it just reaffirms my belief that i should always attack every sighting as if it's the first. It's paid off with cedar waxwings this year...I thought I couldn't get any better shots that I did in Opop...but in August at St. Malo, the shots I got actually surpassed the best shots I'd ever taken in my life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I need to stop thinking of everything I see from a photo op perspective. I know I tend to focus on the photography...how can I not? Maybe I need to try and focus a bit more on the experience?

It's not really my fault though...I see a subject and get into this zone...I don't even hear anything else...I just point and shoot, point and shoot. Often going for hours as my patient hubbie just sits and watches me work. I'll look up and find that they've actually gone back to camp, leaving me to my hunt. It'll feel like 10 minutes and it's been an hour and a half...how can something that triggers such intense focus be a bad thing?

Even just thinking about it now I'm getting that rush, that high that comes from a successful sighting and documenting it. I'll be honest, I don't actually count it as a sighting unless I have photographic proof.

I'm hoping to spend most of this winter skiing and spotting winter birds. And now that I know Bohemian waxwings winter here I can hardly wait for the first snowfall!

No comments:

Post a Comment