Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

These shoes were made for running...

And so the time has come to say goodbye to my faithful friends. I could no longer pretend that they could do the job I needed them to do faithfully. They'd taken me through two 1/2 Marathons, and the numerous training runs that led up to them and I found myself surprised.

I had no idea how attached to my runners I'd gotten until It came time to replace them. I spent over an hour and a half trying on 16 different pairs of runners and nothing seemed to feel as right on my feet as my Asics.

I'd read various articles when I started running about people having difficulty replacing their very first pair of runners and I brushed them off as coo-coo. I mean they're just runners right?

Wrong. They were the runners that helped me cross my first finish line, the runners that helped me change my life. They took me new places and allowed me to do and see new things...sunrises I never would have seen if not for that early morning run.


They ran me through snow, rain, sleet, hail, high winds, and bitter cold...all of which was on one day...Good Friday's run may not have technically have been my most successful run, but mentally it's still the one I fall back on when I hear myself saying I just can't go any farther. If I could run through that for 10km I can do ANYTHING!

They ran me through sweltering heat & humidity the likes of which I had never seen before...lets face it in the past when it got that hot I stayed inside and turned up the A/C.

I have no idea what's in store for them now...I can't see myself tossing them...not yet anyways...maybe I'll clean them up and put them on display. After all, we display other trinkets we bring back from various holidays that are a simple reminder of a place we've been...why not a reminder of something bigger?

Others might not get it, but then that's nothing new for me. I've never been one to cater to the "norm"...if I was I never would have trained for my first half marathon in only 3 1/2 months. A point I'm proud of...my time was slow, but so what?

I have the medals, I have the shirts, but it was the feet that got me there.

You're replacements may be shinier but they will never have the honor of being the shoes that helped me cross my very first finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment