Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hand Feeding the Chickadees

This past weekend we decided that we had to get out of the house...yes it was freezing outside but i couldn't handle another day of seclusion. After a bit of thought we decided to head out to birds hill provincial park and try a bit of hiking.

I remembered that Cedar Bog trail had, at one point, a series of feeders that could only have been used as winter feeding stations (it would be a bears dream come true in the summer.

We decided to give it a go...I'd also read that the chickadees were fairly tame so I decided to take along some black oil sunflower seed just in case.

Who was I kidding I had every intention of hand feeding them if I could. And hand feed them we did! This was a first for me and I've longed to attempt it with any bird since my up close and personal hummingbird experience this past summer.

They literally dive bombed me the second I pulled the seed out. It reminded me of when I had birds and I'd hear the thrumming of their wings as they would fly from my finger back to the cage.

They would come withing inches of my face, at times hovering mere inches away as they decided if I was friendly or not. I adored every second of it. There were moment where there would be a battle of 2 or 3 different fellas over who was going to get to land first.

This was something I shall never forget and I don't doubt I'll be going back. Probably alone so I can get all the pictures I want and not have to worry about a puppy's cold paws.

So if you're looking to expand your appreciation of nature; Cedar Bog Trail, Birds hill Park and bring along some seed!

No comments:

Post a Comment