Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Baltimore Oriole




One of the many reasons I adore St. Malo Provincial Park (aside from the sunsets) is the diverse range of birds that find their way to my camp site.

The Baltimore Oriole holds a special place in my heart and was the one bird I desperatly had hoped would return this year to my feeder...they did not...neither did the Orchard Oriole. I put out jelly and oranges and refreshed religiously, but alas they did not show. (they were the reason I rushed to purchase my new lens as well...dirty buggers).

Needless to say when I noticed that these guys had shown up in my site and were going after the wild plums that were growing in the tree line, I was thrilled.

So much to the point that I put out my oriole feeder full of oranges and jelly which not only drew them but the catbird!

Let me just add that I would never encourge people to put out feeders while camping...this is something I never do if there's even a hint of a threat of any wildlife.

I take my cue from the garbage cans...when they dont even have lids and racoons aren't even an issue (seriously...how do they manage that???)I figure half and orange can't be that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment