Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Harris's Sparrow round two!




Well this morning has proved ot be yet anither one rich in birds! As I sat responding to various birds questions from my fellow birders I happened to notice that there was a fresh batch of Harris sparrows mixed in with my jumbled assortment of sparrows!

The first batch arrived back May 1st...along with every other sparrow known and unknown to my yard. They of course stayed 24 hours and then were gone. I hope that this batch stays a little longer...I count 6 that I can see right now...which usually means there anohter 2 ot 3 in the underbrush.

I adore the Harris sparrow. I usually get them for about a day in the spring and a week in the fall. Tehy are some of the most skittish birds, usually sticking to the underbrush, venturing out only when there are at least 24 other potential meals between them and any BOP.

This trait makes it really hard to get decent pictures of them but I'm pleased with what I got. I don't like to shoot them nonstop as I feel that it alters their natural behaviour...and eventually will spook them.

I truly love migration!

No comments:

Post a Comment