Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Blue Jays return, peanuts disappear



There's something wonderful about the return of the blue jay in fall. I know that they usually hang around most yards all summer but for some reason these fellas don't really show up in my yard until September. Probably in part because they have to fight the grackles for the peanuts.

Anyhoo! I love these brightly feathered fellas...I've never really understood the intense hatred some birders have for certain aggressive species. I posted a few pictures to my birding watching forum only to have a few people post disparaging remarks about blue jays. Really?

Birds are who they are and that's nature isn't it? Survival of the fittest? Admittedly I'm a bit biased...come winter I only have house sparrows and starlings (another 2 species that inspire snarls at the mere mention of their names).

I guess part of me wishes that I could be that biased about what comes to my feeders but to me having anything at all stay the winter is fabulous. Seriously. For the first 5 years I had nothing that would winter here. Our development is relatively new and has very little mature landscaping. It wasn't until I put in a heated bird bath that I suddenly had birds stay through the entire year.

Oh yes...a heated bird bath. These things are wonderful and I highly recommend them to any avid bird watcher. During the bitter cold months birds more use it as a source for drinking water than bathing but then they surprise you on that sunny -30'C day by splashing it up and drying in the sun.

The running joke around here is that they come for the 'hot tub'. They're expensive but are well worth it in my opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment