Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rain

As I sit here in my living room recuperating from my latest self induced injury (apparently the weekend of paddling was a bit more vicious than I'd thought), I can't help but notice the clouds rolling in. The rooms getting darker...almost to the point where I might need to turn on a light or two. It's nice. I know it's only august but after one of the hottest July's on record, I find myself not minding if nature would take over my watering duties for a day or two.

Every thing's bone dry...I find myself watering my vegetable garden every night. The grass has stopped growing and turned a lovely shade of brown. Tree's are stressed out and I'm running out of tank tops. The house is actually cold for the first time in what seems like forever...and I'm loving it. I threw on my new fleece to ward off the chill...I love the feel of a sweater. They're like a big giant hug.

I know, I know I could just open up the windows to warm up the house, but really what's the point? It'll just make the A/C work harder tomorrow. Besides I like being cold. I think it's because it reminds me of my favourite time of the year. Fall.

Every thing's cozy. The smell of fallen leaves, the crispness in the air, all letting me know that heavy socks and fireplaces are just around the corner. I like those gloomy days of rain...you know the ones...where you tuck in with a good book and a glass of wine or a cup of Hot Chocolate. Bing Crosby croons at me from the stereo telling me it's cold outside...and I find myself inclined to believe him.

I know that Fall's around the corner...the signs are all here, but for now I'm going to enjoy what's left of our summer...although I know that next week when I head out to my favourite campground I know that if I head to the main parking lot, I'll find it smells like fall. The silver poplar leaves will have started their annual pilgrimage to the ground and I know that I'll sit amongst the leaves and breathe deep. In the shade of course, because it shall inevitably be another scorching week of blistering heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment