Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Roll of the dice

What makes a good friend? I thought i was one. I knew it had been a while since I'd actually talked to a few of my friends...but it's summer...who's not crazy busy in summer? I didn't think that we had a moment to breathe...never mind picking up the phone for those friends that boycott social networking (yup there are those out there that do that...and it seems like half of them are my friends).

I've never been good at calling people...I'm _so_ not a phone person...but what I found out about myself this past wasn't very pretty. Someone, who I considered to be a close friend made what had to be one of the hardest decisions of her life...2 months ago. And I had no idea. That's how bad of a friend I've been. For 2 months she's been rebuilding her life and not a peep.

Now don't get me wrong...in no way am I blaming her for the lack of knowledge...I take that responsibility firmly on my shoulders. I've gotten far too comfortable with the anonymity that social networking allows me. I can see what goes on and feel connected to people even though, in reality I'm not.

In a world of instant messages, emails & texts have we actually forgotten how to communicate? Do we actually believe that by posting well wishes on someones page constitutes keeping in touch? Is throwing virtual livestock and 'poking' someone enough to maintain a friendship?

I'm starting to think not...but I have no idea how to go about remedying things...my cave is comfy...and real people are not. They're full of drama, emotions and judgement...things I can do without...but can I do without friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment